Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Africa - Part 1

I am going to publish my trip in multiple entries.  There is entirely too much to make you read in one absurdly long blog post. The internet was not cooperative while we were there on the ground, so I didn't get to write in real time. However, I promised to involve you on the journey.  So here it is.... just a bit postponed.

I won't bore you with the details of travel.  (except to say that God was holding us safely in all our travels!)

We arrived in Wakiso, Uganda late at night.  There were quite a few people that met us at the airport and ushered us to the hotel.  I had a passing thought, "well, that's very nice of them to come meet us this late!". Little did I know just how precious and caring each of these people were.  Got to the hotel, said our goodbyes and went to bed. (under our mosquito net of course)

The next morning, we were to go to the Restoration Home where 42 girls live, are fed, cared for, and helped to remain in school.  On our ride over we got to see the town.  The roads are red dirt, with dust swirling like fog.  There are little markets all along the road, with street vendors all about.  People are walking constantly on the side of the busy road.  There are motorcycles and taxis with passengers zooming in and out of traffic.  The road rules here are hard to understand, it is defensive driving at its best!






I just love the way everyone seems to be moving..... 
And even the people that are stationary seem to have a purpose, or are going somewhere.  

We arrived at the Restoration Home.... and it was beautiful!  

The staff came up to us immediately to express that we were "very welcome", and they were "so very happy" to see us there. (their voices and accents sound like music. I now desperately miss those sweet voices) Hugs, hugs, and more hugs from these people we were meeting for the first time.  They said they had been praying for us and that this time would come. It was the kindest, most earnest, sincere greeting I have ever had in my life!  We were shown around the Restoration Home grounds. Included was the room where this all started, a very small room that only held a few. There were four girls initially, then the need continued to grow.  And now thankfully, there are 42 girls at the Home.  (the need continues to be great, and they learn of needy girls weekly....will you pray that we find a way to care for and serve the ones not served yet?)

As we were shown around, a couple of things shook my bearings. As we walked up, a couple of men were doing something to the side.  I didn't pay much attention until it was explained what they were doing. They were making their own bricks in order to pave the drive.  MAKING THEIR OWN BRICKS.... NOT ORDERING THEM FOR A TRUCK TO DELIVER!

This just floored me.... how resourceful! And what an accomplishment, to say that you made the bricks; and then you laid the driveway... with your own hands.  

The second sight that really rocked my world was the "new water pump".  The staff & girls used to walk quite a ways to fetch water.  Now they have a pump, and can travel just a few steps for precious water!  (this is a big deal!)









We got a tour of the current rooms in which the girls live. Each room houses six girls in bunk beds, there is also a large living/dining area. Outside there is a garden, an outdoor cooking area, offices, and an adjacent worship hall. 
The girls were at school when we arrived, so on the agenda was wrapping pads with the staff. (One of the ministries, Purity Project, donates feminine pads to young girls within the community.  Without feminine hygiene products, they cannot attend school for the week of the month they might need these products. I have to add that a nursing student from Nashville that went with Passion Partners last year held a pad drive, and nearly 8,000 pads were donated!  We took ALL of them with us!!!)
So, before they hand out the pads, they wrap them as a gift. The pride that is shown as they are preparing these small items that we completely take for granted is humbling. What a powerful way in which to serve others!






We did get to see some of the girls arriving at Restoration Home after school.  They seemed so very kind and shy.  I couldn't wait to see them open up.  

We ended the day tired, but invigorated!  I could not wait for the next day.... I was to lead a devotional with the girls.  I had spent a lot of time praying over what God wanted me to share with these girls halfway around the world. HE pressed some things on my heart, and I was just trusting they wouldn't hear me, but HIM.  

So, the next post will be the day with the Restoration Home girls.........

No comments:

Post a Comment